picture

Friday, December 12, 2014

The Life of a Tech

Being a veterinary technician is an extremely rewarding but challenging labor of love.  I never really planned on doing this as my chosen profession, I happened to just naturally fall into it.  As a child I always loved animals, especially my first dog, a super affectionate Collie/Shepherd mix named Princess Pup Pup.  As a teenager, I began volunteering my time with an animal rescue organization and became actively involved in rescuing and rehabilitating homeless animals.


When I eventually got my first job at a veterinary hospital I had no idea I was in for such an exciting experience!  Dealing with life, death, and everything in between was fascinating and I couldn’t wait to learn and do more!  Vet techs perform a wide variety of duties and we perform some of the same duties as nurses, anesthetists, radiology technicians, dental hygienists, laboratory technicians, pharmacists, surgical assistants, and janitors!  Even with all of that responsibility, almost every technician I know loves their job even when it gets difficult.


In the past 9 years I have worked in general practice, emergency and referral, management, and now at The Spay and Neuter Center of New Jersey!  I can't express how happy I am to be working for such a wonderful clinic that is providing such an important service for a cause that is so near to my heart.  Over 3 million pets are euthanized each year in shelters across the US.  Many of these pets are healthy and well-tempered, however, there are simply too many of them to find loving homes for them all.  The first step in solving this heartbreaking problem is spay and neuter!  By preventing litters we can decrease the number of animals that enter the overcrowded shelter system and prevent unneeded suffering and euthanasia of loving pets.  It’s my hope that we can make a difference in the lives of people and animals.

Stephanie Mulligan, Certified Veterinary Technician

No comments:

Post a Comment